Monday, May 4, 2009

What better place to start, than with Wolverine...

This past weekend I attended my local showing of the X-men Origins: Wolverine. I was looking forward to this movie for quite some time now, but not for Wolverine. I did attend for Deadpool, Gambit and Sabretooth however. These characters did not disappoint in my opinion. Since the movie is still so new, I will avoid revealing any details and spoilers.

Overall, the plot was unfortunately the weakest point of the film. It felt disjointed throughout and like I was watching a collection of scenes rather than a movie. The CG I was also very reminiscent of the first X-men movie, except worse. Not everything looked horrible, Wraith's teleportation was a fresh way to show that mutation and Gambit charging up the playing cards were toned down to believability. But if it was Wolverine's claws or Logan and Victor moving and jumping, it was an eyesore.

But where this movie really shined was the acting. Hugh Jackman did what he has done since the first movie, be Wolverine. Liev Schreiber does a decent job as Sabretooth, thought the writing could have been better. Danny Huston's William Stryker suffered from similarly weak writing, but he did great with what he was given, making the character real.

But the three shining performances would have to be Ryan Reynolds, Taylor Kitsch, and Will.i.am. Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson stole the show in the early stages of the movie. His monologuing about why he uses swords was a brilliant introduction to a character that can have a lot of longevity, if treated correctly.

Taylor Kitsch was a no name to me prior to his casting in this movie since I did not watch the T.V. show "Friday Night Lights". I had my own opinions as to who should have played this character, and Taylor Kitsch came in and proved to me why he earned this role. His swagger and essence screamed "New Orleans cool".

Finally, Will.i.am was the biggest concern when I heard about his casting, and that turned into the biggest surprised of the movie. Will.i.am portrayed John Wraith really well and made me care about his character.

In general, this wasn't a bad movie. It wasn't great. I walked out of the theater having had a great time, and enjoyed watching three of my favorite Marvel characters (Sabretooth, Deadpool, and Gambit) brought to life on screen. If you are a forgiving comic book geek (like me) then I would highly recommend enjoying this movie in theaters and having a great time. But if you take the Wolverine and X-men univereses very seriously and consider the thrid X-men movie to be the work of Satan, then I would wait for the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment